What trends are we seeing most in kitchen design right now?
According to a recent Houzz study, 75% of people surveyed want to declutter their counter tops. We live chaotic lives and the last thing we want is to come home to mess and disorder. People want organization and a little touch of a luxury element.
- They are willing to spend money on new countertops, cabinets, and appliances.
- More storage that is easily accessible is at the top of the list as well.
- Shaker style cabinets are still most predominant.
- Painted rather than stained cabinets are more popular.
- White is often the color of choice and we are seeing more custom cabinetry. Why so? We just came off the Mediterranean trend heavy on detail and Old World charm. Simplicity is what we are craving now. Light and bright, compared to the dark stains, brown granites, and ornate carvings. Customization and function is highly sought after.
- Engineered quartz is #1. Lifetime warranties, consistency of material, and an ever-widening range of colors and stone like patterns make quartz extremely likeable.
- Wood like flooring, such as vinyl and porcelain tile, is on the rise. People are looking for more alternatives to traditional wood flooring with easy care and durability high on the list.
As far as the preferred style in kitchens, we are seeing a ”blurred line”, according to the Houzz survey. Homeowners want clean lines, but softer edges. They don’t want to be tied to a distinct style. With that said, we are seeing transitional, contemporary, and farmhouse styles most often.
Lastly, the definition of a major remodel means the replacement of all appliances and a change in how the kitchen functions. A minor kitchen remodel would be categorized by upgrading a few existing elements. According to a CBS News interview with a real estate agent, if your kitchen is more than 15 years old, upgrading your flooring, cabinets, and appliances to modern standards are well worth the investment for resale. But most importantly, consider remodeling or upgrading so that you will enjoy your kitchen and design it around the way you live your life.