These are some of my favorite tips for decorating your home with accessories.
1. Hang art at eye level. Generally, about 60” – 65” on the center of the art.
2. Hang multiple pieces no farther than 2”-5” apart edge to edge. I prefer 2”-3”.
3. Hang art 4”– 6” above a piece of furniture.
4. Artwork should span 2/3 the width of the piece of furniture it hangs over.
5. When creating a gallery wall, I like to place it out on the floor first.
Remember odd numbers are the best! Repeat an accent color at least 3 times. Mix elements, metals, heights, scale, and sizes to give a layered and collected look.
Living Room – best sizes 8 x10, 10 x 14, 12 x 18
Either select a rug that is large enough to place all the furniture on it or choose one that just the front half of the chairs and sofa fit.
Dining Room – best sizes 8 x 10, 10 x 14
Make sure that your chairs can be pulled out for seating and still be on the rug. Generally, about 24”-30” from the edge of the table.
Bedroom – best sizes 8 x 10, 10 x 14
You can either select a large rug that fits under all the furniture including the entire bed and both night stands, or a medium size rug that fits under the bed but not under the night stands. And lastly, you can do smaller rugs on each side of the bed in front of the night stands.
Dining Room Chandelier – measure width or diameter of the table in inches. The chandelier should be between 2/3 and ¾ the width or diameter of the table. It should hang between 30”-36” above the table top. My favorite height is about 33”.
*all images courtesy of Pottery Barn